Slide by Jill Hathaway

Sylvia, or Vee, has a secret. While everyone else thinks she has narcolepsy (like, she falls asleep randomly all the time), she really slides into other people's heads. She can see through their eyes. It's not the same as living through them, she can't hear their thoughts or manipulate their body, only see what they can see...and usually it's something she doesn't want. Obviously she has to keep this on the DL, or everyone will think she's cuckoo.

Vee tried telling her dad when she was younger, and his first reaction was to send her to a shrink. That was the last of that! Since then, a lot has happened: her mom died, her friends turned their backs on her, and she made maybe the best friend she's ever had in Rollins...but she still hasn't shared her secret. How could she risk her only friend?

Life seems to be relatively normal until the day she slides into Sophie, her sister's best friend, or thinks she does...but then she realizes she's above Sophie. All she can see is blood, everywhere. If she isn't inside Sophie, who else is there?! The person is holding a knife in her hand, and is looking down on the scene. It can't be Sophie! When the news comes out the next day, her sister is devastated, thinking their cruel prank led to Sophie's suicide. Only Vee knows the truth.

In the midst of all this horror, she finds solace in the arms of the new boy, Zane. With all the people keeping secrets - her father, her sister, Rollins, and even herself - she needs someone to just be there for her without any pretense. She may not be able to be completely honest with him, but at least she knows her feelings for him are real, and that has to mean something.

The killer could be so many people. How is Sylvia going to discover who it could be? Especially when everyone thinks it was suicide? When another girl is killed, Sylvia begins to fear for her sister. The stakes are so high. Can she find a way to control this power and discover the murderer?

*Library Link*
"Something in my pocket pokes me. I pull it out and smooth it against my jeans. It's the page from the calendar that Sophie taped to our door earlier. I start to feel woozy, like I might slide. Oh no. Not again. My vision pulses, and my knees go out, and I fall deep, deep down, into a hole. 
I'm sitting at a white desk, a pad of fancy stationary angled before me. Words crawl like spiders across the page, flowing from the pen in my gloved hand.
Who am I?
And why am I wearing gloves?
The words I'm writing say: I don't deserve this.As I stand I notice the pink walls and the pictures of ballerinas. Sophie's room," (Hathaway pg. 52, 2012).
If you liked this, check out:
Imposter by Jill Hathaway (Slide, Book 2)
Dark Eyes by William Richter
The Diviners by Libba Bray

Hathaway, Jill. (2012). Slide. New York, NY: Balzer + Bray.

No comments:

Post a Comment