Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

The future is bleak. The trees are no longer green. The clouds are no longer white. The animals are dying; birds don't fly. Weather is erratic at best. The Reestablishment promised things would be better, but they are killing what is left of the culture. They want to remake the language, eliminate writing.

Juliette is alone. She has been this way for 264 days. No human contact, until today... They tell her she is getting a roommate. She knows the danger this holds, and isn't sure what to think. She craves the closeness of another human more than she cares to admit, but she knows it can never be. When he arrives, she thinks she knows him. Adam. She's disappointed happy he doesn't recognize her.

They form a slow friendship, although she is still very cautious. She doesn't trust anyone after what she has endured. There are things about her that are poisonous, dangerous, lethal. Her touch has killed before.

Suddenly, they are ripped from their prison and taken to the Reestablishment. More importantly, she is taken to Warner. He is a cruel boy, hardly older than she, and he wants to use her power for his own gain. The craziest part is that he wants her to want to help him. As if she would ever see eye to eye with a killer... or could she? Sometimes the things he says give her pause.

Meanwhile, her attachment to Adam grows, despite herself. As time passes, she begins to believe that he truly is on her side. Can they find a way to escape from this trap?

"His hand is scorching my skin through the layers of fabric and I inhale so fast my lungs collapse. I'm caught in colliding currents of confusion, so desperate so desperate so desperate to be close so desperate to be far away. I don't know how to move away from him. I don't want to move away from him. 
I don't want him to be afraid of me.
'Hey.' His voice is so soft so soft so soft. His arms are stronger than all the bones in my body. He pulls my swaddled figure close to his chest and I shatter. Two three four fifty thousand pieces of feeling stab me in the heart, melt into drops of warm honey that soothe the scars in my soul," (Mafi pg 39, 2011). 
*Library Link*

If you liked this, check out:
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Mafi, T. (2011). Shatter me. New York: HarperTeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment